Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Broken String!

I'd only had my harp for about 2 weeks and then, one Friday, I'm in my room doing homework and I hear a loud twang! from the closet.  (I keep my harp in my closet because my cat is very destructive and I don't want anything to happen to my precious harp!!!)  I nearly jumped out of my skin because the house was so quiet and the noise startled me.  

In my research about harps, I'd read that when a string breaks, it makes a loud twanging noise, so I knew immediately that a string had just broken.  A few days after I'd gotten the harp home, I noticed that the 5th string, a D (one of the very high strings), had a little nick in it near the tuning peg.  Naturally, I assumed that was the string that had broken.  Imagine my surprise when I opened my closet and found that it was the string below the D that had broken!  (String #6: C)

My mom emailed Harp Connection and told them which string had broken and asked if they would send us a replacement for free since I'd only had the harp for about 2 weeks, and I hadn't even played it much.  They emailed us back and basically said that string breakage is a part of harp playing, but since the instrument was new and I hadn't had it long, they'd send a replacement for free just this once.  

I'll have to take the harp to my next lesson so Bill can show me how to put on the new string! 

~Shelby
"The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."